Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Things to do in a continuing Snow Storm.

Well, I'm still here. And it's still snowing. I went into work yesterday and one thing a snow storm is "good" for is appreciating WORK and being out of the home for a few hours.

Here are some contemplations and things to do if stuck inside while its blizzarding:

-Watch tivoed episodes of "Oprah". I am learning a lot. Geisha's, nuns, sexual predators...this is a fine education! For example, Geisha means "art" and unlike the myths I had believed, sexual favors are not apart of being a geisha. That is an insult to those who practice this art and lifestyle. Moving on to nuns, did you know that their "frock" is symbolic of a wedding dress? Because they are married to Christ! I didn't know that. One young nun (with a sense of humor, I might add) said that being married to Jesus is hard because if the relationship starts to go downhill, she knows its her fault! I actually laughed. And ya know, isn't that true? He never leaves me. I just choose to distance myself from Him sometimes. But wow, vows of celibacy, poverty and obedience. No make up, tweezers, hair styles....I know we are not supposed to be completely indulgent, but I do take joy in a new outfit and having my hair "did".

-Oh and sexual predators, wow. GREAT episode. I've worked with sexual predators in therapy and lots of people who are survivors of sexual abuse and I loved the information shared to clear up ideas of how sexual abuse takes place and myths that victims BELIEVE. It was a powerful episode. I won't go into much more details, because I am always "that" girl who suddenly brings up sexual abuse at happy hour and all of the sudden, everyone is like, ddoooo duuuuu (i need a sound effect), here is "Debbie downer". Ha ha. That is why I LOVE and NEED my social worker friends, our happy hours are full of such "peppy" but honest and tough conversation (and venting and support). It can be lonely to be so fully aware of the suffering, pain, unfair and disgusting things that happen in the world....hence, why I often like to "bust" the bubble of happy, go lucky happy hours :) Ha. I am kinda joking. And my job effects my personality and self in every way possible. I can't leave "untouched", nor would I want too.

Check it out. I think it's important. Link is here.

- Eating pie for breakfast. Because I am very sick of cereal (this has been the staple of my "snow" diet for the past 5 days) and one of our favorite restaurants was open on my trudge home from the metro last night, so I picked up two pieces of pie to go. One for last night, and one for breakfast. So I have on my fleece polka dot pj's, favorite ugg slippers (bday present from Jonathan and new must have for winter!), hot coffee, and blueberry pie. Yum.

-I'm very glad my sister lives so close. We trudged (I've already used this word but there really is not a better way to describe it) to the gym on Monday, during its window of being open, to get out our antsyness and then went to several grocery stores to try to find some food. The shelves are pretty bare and there weren't many fresh veggies/meat to buy...But I managed to stock up on cereal, milk and some bread. PB and J's. Cereal. Frozen Pizza. Canned soups. Beer. Wine. Coffee. Crystal light pink lemonade. These are things one eats during multiple snow storms.

-Go to lots of websites and get caught up on all kinds of gossip, blogs, some meaningful and some meaningless. For example, check out this one for all kinds of Bachelor spoilers and commentary. I think its hilarious!! Especially the part about Vienna and Florida....She is from the same town, Sanford, that my mother grew up in, and her boat right with alligators and turtles is so FLORIDA. I laughed and at this guy, reality Steve's, commentary. I've always been a sucker for the show because of the entertainment factor even though I think its unrealistic and completely demoralizing for women. However, in college, we had a personal link to the Bachelor (Jesse Palmer, who used to live in Jonathan's apartment and his secret friend, Jenny, who was on the show and the cousin of my best friend, Lauren) and on this round, Corrie, went to my high school. And Corrie was awesome! Even though I know her big sister much better, I was proud. So that kinda justifies it, right?

-Movies. So far I've watched Coraline (cute), The Proposal (much better than i was expecting!), The Class (foreign and good), Revolutionary Road (again, i love it, but most people think its depressing), Yes Man (i liked the message and laughed)....

-TV shows. Well, I already admitted that I watch the Bachelor. I really don't get "into" many shows. Never watched Lost, or 24, or other cult favorites. I have been known to tivo, "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and a new series I just saw for the first time, "Life Unexpected". Pretty good, too. Ever seen them? And Gossip Girl is a completely guilty pleasure that I would put up there with the Bachelor. Eek. I wonder now that I am 28 if I should start watching shows that focus more on adults living actual realistic lives instead of teenagers? Hmm. I just can't get into them...I am drawn to "Criminal Minds" and "Intervention" but I don't think that will help me with my "happy hour social skills" deficits.

Well, now that I've confessed my activities for the past several days, I think I should read, do work and try to "revive" the brain cells that I've neglected or let die. I will keep you posted.

Happy snow day. Or sun day. Or humid day with limitless sunshine (if you are a beloved Florida relative or friend). Or just a regular Wednesday.

1 comment:

FreeFlying said...

That's so funny about watching so many teenager shows. I do it too. But half of everything else is depressing or about crime solving. Teenagers are so fun! Also, I love that you're the happy hour debby downer. You're totally interesting and that trumps happy any day.