Friday, February 12, 2010

and I continue to learn (lingering effects of a snowstorm).

I have learned to be still. To slow down. That life CAN slow down. Things to do aren't really THAT important. If they don't get done, it's really okay. I don't have to do, check things off, and stay on schedule.

DC is a busy place. Even though I consider myself having a lot "to do" in this city, I probably fall on like the lower 90th percentile of busy people. To get a double date with couple friends, often we must plan months in advance. People have things every night whether its a kickball league, a happy hour, a book club, or something with work, most people don't have many free nights. Plus, people work A LOT. I've learn to "protect" my time in the evenings. That most nights I prefer to come home, have dinner, maybe go to the gym, and be alone. And that is okay. I like it. Yes, I wish Jonathan was here to "do not much" alongside me. But for the most part, I'm content.

However, the snow storm still "slowed" me down. So thank you, snow. Thank you, DC, for being so slow and helpless to remove the snow. Part of me feels like I "lost" a week of my life. But then the other half realizes that a huge part of me is "lost" in the normal week of stress, to do's and long days of obligations.

My commute to work was quite stressful for many reasons (and took 2.5 hours)...As I metroed with the masses, which can induce panic, I tried to remain in my "slow" state of mind and realize that, I haven't been to work all week, if I am two hours late, its not really that big of a deal.

Bethany Dillon's "I am Yours" helped me start the day right despite the huge barrier of metro enabling me to transport in a timely manner. I love Bethany's lyrics, they always speak to me "right where I am". Sometimes praise songs are too "lofty" for me on a Friday, hellish way to work. Ya know?

I am Yours (listen here)

Every darkened crevice
Every hidden place
Every secret that’s inside of me
Though I run from You
I don’t get very far
In my weakness You speak tenderly

You heal this heart of stone
I am not my own

I am Yours....

How can I resist a perfect love like this?
It’s like sunshine and the smell of spring
When I’m covered in Your forgiveness
God, it’s overwhelming

You have called me out of shadows....
Out of darkness into light....
Hemmed in by the hands of mercy....
I’m completely satisfied



*PS: there might be MORE lessons learned. Yes, being "still" for a week and having my head and heart so open and free means I am still processing many thoughts.....sometimes I wish I could shut "them" out too. Maybe that is why I throw myself into work and others most of the time? So I can't hear myself (and God). Hmmm. Interesting, Dr. Freud.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

have you been to Georgetown Cupcake yet? I saw the cute girls who own it on Martha last year! Hope your thawing out!

Heather said...

Hi Jen! Yes, Georgetown Cupcake is amazing. They are so perfect in every way. Quite popular as well, with a line around the block. You would love it. It's a favorite for birthdays or "just because" in our home! xoxo