Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mama T.

I mean, Mother Teresa.

We've all heard of her and seen pictures of her with orphans surrounding her, right? But have you ever read anything she has wrote? Or really "heard" what she said?

I am blown away by some quotes, so I thought I'd share. My day was intense. The world of social work and counseling can be unforgiving and take, take, take...To fill myself up I was looking for some inspiration and "Mama T" shed the love and grace of God with her words (reflective of God) to my weary heart.

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.

Many people mistake our work for our vocation. Our vocation is the love of Jesus.

Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.

Each one of them is Jesus in disguise.

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world.

I do not pray for success, I ask for faithfulness.

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.

If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it.

We can do no great things, only small things with great love.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action.


They are all so simple yet I miss it everyday. Lord, help me simplify. Help me love. Give me grace. Love. Love. Love. And then some more. More patience. More smiles. Less irritation. Kindness. Not because it is given to me by a person, but because it has been given to me by You. That is all I need. There is no reason to not EVER be kind. Help me. To not get so tired. To keep going. In Your name. For Your glory. Because each of "them" is you, your child, your world. So broken. So dirty. So weak. As am I. I do not come from a lofty place where I cannot relate. I am as low as anyone. Let me not think highly of myself. I am nothing. A dust in the wind. Yet I have hands, a smile, my time, my life, to give, to be with, to share. Not to judge. Not to look down on. Not to condone. Love.Love.Love. That's it. From my home and family to every home I go into for work or person I meet on the street.

1 comment:

FreeFlying said...

Oh, crap. I just wrote a blog along the same lines and then I saw yours and read it. You make me feel like a selfish, rude jerkface. Maybe I need to extend my quiet time.