Tuesday, December 9, 2008

a good car ride to work.

So many thoughts, right now.

Driving to work this morning, I enjoyed the wintry landscape. All the leaves are gone. The sun has made its annual escape, so grey clouds and sky were soft in the background. A cold wind blowing as a jogger grimaced his face for the unanticipated gust, out on his morning run along the Potomac, as I drove by with my warm coffee in the car.

I don't love the winter. Being in Florida for most of life, I love the sunshine and got used to a Vitamin D surplus, because as the winter continues, I definitely get some SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Actually this morning when I woke up, I had so many aches and pains (for no good reason such as a strenuous workout) and could not think of any reason why I should wake up, well except for all those obligatory duties required in a day, but not any reason why I wanted to get out of my cozy bed, onto my achy legs and feet, into the cold, cold, bathroom, attempt to do my hair (ponytail won, hair still dirty), get out into the chilly air, drive with every other DC busybody to the office to meet with kids who probably don't appreciate me, and who I probably won't really help...and on and on.....

BUT as I made the drive into work, the wintry morning was beautiful. Peaceful. Quiet. I kept looking at the trees. No leaves. They look dead, right? I know you have heard this kind of sermon over and over again, but it struck me anew this morning. The trees look dead without their leaves and their dull color, yet in a few months, when the glories of spring immerse, LIFE and BEAUTY and COLOR and FULLNESS return.

So, even when I feel almost "dead" inside (like this morning for me), I am not. The color, passion, beauty and fullness is there, though dormant. Why dormant? Maybe I have to die to myself. Maybe I am being sanctified, disciplined. I don't know. What I AM sure of is that the promise for Spring, whatever that is symbolic for each of us, will not disappoint. And isn't it worth it to be "dead" for awhile or to whatever, to come "alive" again? Spring would not be so great, without the contrast of Winter preceding it. Think about this in your own life, how might your current sufferings be apart of the grand design to delight you with a more lovely Spring?!

Needless to say, my drive to work was quite productive between me and the Lord. The morning started with something very encouraging at work. I was shocked. I had forgotten the "hope" of Spring and what that felt like. Throughout the day, it has soaked in and I am thankful. My heart is slowing "waking" up and I can feel the burn again for life, children, and things beyond laying in bed all day. Now I cannot speak for tomorrow, but I learned a lot today.

While there is more...I must end for this evening and get back to an assignment that is ALMOST done and due on Friday. Friday. Friday. Can't wait.

1 comment:

Amanda Ogden said...

Your experience of the dullness of winter is a perfect parallel to this season of Advent - a season of heightened awareness of waiting for our Savior, of reading through the prophesies of old, and of trying to empathize with the Israelites as they ached for their Messiah and King to come! The liturgical calendar very closely corresponds to the seasonal one, with the season of waiting (Advent) corresponding to winter, and with the season of redemption (Lent) corresponding to spring. How gorgeous the history and fullness of our faith is! May Christ bless your drive to work every day! Love, Amanda