Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The wise Ms. Day

People say, ‘What is the sense of our small effort?’
They cannot see that we must lay one brick at a time, take one step at a time. A pebble cast into a pond causes ripples that spread in all directions. Each one of our thoughts, words and deeds is like that. No one has a right to sit down and feel hopeless.
There’s too much work to do.
-Dorothy Day-


I have been inspired lately by the life and words of Dorothy Day (thanks jonnali!)....Her words above resonate with me, as often I seek to move mountains and make big changes into lives of hurting people, or my own life and situations, or those that I love...However, Ms. Day was so wise and I think she is right on. Often, if we think the challenge is BIG we never get going because it seems so intimidating and daunting. A smaller task we are more apt to move on and feel confident about accomplishing it. But let us not get discouraged by the enormity of the work to do, people to love, things to change or things that are "wrong", but MOVE now and in the PRESENT. Let your conversations be seasoned with salt. Do not speak idle words (read James!). Speak forth blessings and not curses. When you touch someone (the shoulder of a child, kisses on your baby) bless them in the name of Jesus. The great thing about this is that you don't have to tell someone you are blessing them, but can do it quietly and discreetly. The kids I worked with are blessed in the name of Jesus, but they don't know it...My hand on their shoulder is a way to impart blessing (if I am intentional about it)..Oh the Father has been faithful to give us gifts that we need on this earth and to have access to everything Jesus had on this earth in His ministry. The Holy Spirit! Dear Lord, help us USE what YOU have GIVEN for YOUR glory and redemption in this world. Let us have energy, purpose and renewal. I need You to fill me up!

No comments: