Thursday, November 19, 2009

city life.

I got 2 parking tickets today. That is $60 dollars in one day for the DC government. Lovely.

Now, I get parking tickets pretty often but 2 in one day is pretty terrible. City life's charms. On street parking at home and at work. This means I have a permit at home, so can park along the curb, but if I get home after 7pm one night, it's hard to find a spot so if I don't want to walk really far, then I sometimes have to park "illegally" overnight. I don't get caught everytime I do this but I wasn't so lucky this morning. But I had groceries to bring in last night and it was raining! I didn't want to walk 6 blocks and across a major road to get home lugging stuff in the rain. Not sure if that was worth $30 but at the time it felt like it would be.

I also have to park on the street at work. However, work is across town so my residential permit doesn't work there, this means I can only park for 2 hours. Then I have to go move it and move it far enough away from where I was previously parked to be sure the parking enforcer won't notice that I just moved and that I don't belong parking there all day, every day. Sigh. I like having a reason to leave the office and walk around for a bit, but sometimes I forget or get held up and can't go move the car. Hence parking ticket #2.

Once I don't need my car at work (transitioning to being at the office more), then I will start taking the metro and then I'm sure I will have many more commentaries about life in DC. Until thenm I shall share experiences such as parking tickets, moving the car every 2 hours and hauling in groceries in the rain.

If Ashley (my sister) had a blog then she could tell a tale of city life including find 2 mice in her apartment and trying to chase them into a homemade trap. Gross and hilarious. The building she lives in is old and historic, yet comes with its share of issues like mice appartently. So, we will take the bad (parking tickets, mice, overpriced everything) with the good (interesting people, walking everywhere, history and things to do, beautiful scenery.....).

Good news: Jonathan gets home tonight and I shall not be husbandless for almost 2 weeks....Yay. Now I just have to calm myself so I don't seem as "needy" as I feel......

No comments: