Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What We Need is Here.

"Geese appear high over us,

pass, and the sky closes.

Abandon, as in love or sleep,

holds them to their way,

clear in the ancient faith:

what we need is here.

And we pray, not for new earth or heaven,

but to be quiet in heart, and in eye, clear.

What we need is here. "



-Wendell Berry

********************************************

Jonathan and I were able to "get away" to the Delaware beach this weekend for a few days. I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed, at ease, not thinking about what I needed to do next, or to feel guilty when relaxing because I "should be doing something more productive".

As I "protested" today at going back to work with psychosomatic symptoms of not feeling well, I came home a little early and found this poem, which really spoke to me, in light of the weekend. What we really need is here. Before us. Before me. Right now. Every day. Every breath. Yet I don't breath it enough, or recognize it, or label it, or appreciate it. So I hope to be more present NOW. Not tomorrow, or in an hour. But here and now. And see that I have all I need and when I look for something else, it is then I am lacking.

1 comment:

KatieG said...

I sort of want you to have a baby. Think about it...k?