Sunday, February 8, 2009

Lovely Laurie & some mac and cheesy goodness

Nick and Laurie
The new hubby and wifey


My sweet friends and the bride

Beautiful Florida backyard reception

Hello!


Just returned to DC after a quick trip to Orlando....I was able to attend and witness my dear friend Laurie's wedding to Nick Monterosso. It was such a blessing to be there with them as they begin their lives as husband and wife. Wedding vows and ceremonies are different to me now as I am a wife. The vows mean more and sometimes convict me that I am not doing well at upholding my own promises, or makes me feel so blessed with my own marriage, and most of the time probably a combination of all those feelings....I do realize the importance of the words and commitment in a different way. I don't know how you can really understand the magnitude of it when you are up there saying it at the start of your marriage, but as time goes by it obviously becomes more real (in a good way). We've only been doing this for 2 1/2 years and have certainly stumbled and fallen and still don't feel like we "know what we are doing" but most days we can laugh and be grateful and look forward to (hopefully) many more days ahead together and sharing life. Anyways, it was a good reminder of the sacredness of marriage. I am very excited and happy for the Monterosso's!

Laurie is a kindred spirit sort of friend. She does similar work as I do in Detroit, Michigan, working with children in foster care, all in an inner city with so many circumstances that put these kids at risk. I love to talk to her because she "gets it" in a way that only someone working in this field can relate (and no offense to all of you who are not- we need you too!) so we have many conversations.....A few months ago, I was talking to her on the phone and all of the sudden she starting crying and freaking out. She had hit a dog in the road and was trying to figure out if it was alive and if she should go and pick it up to take to an emergency vet. Well, Laurie did end up getting the injured dog in her back seat and taking it to the vet ER, where is subsequently died not only from being hit by the car, but also rat poisoning. Laurie was so upset and distraught, and this story, although sad, describes her passionate and feeling heart!

Laurie and her new hubby live in an inner city Detroit neighborhood. Although she would have to tell you more about it, they will live in an intentional community with other members of their church to live with people they want to serve and share life with....Nick does homeless outreach for his job through a non-profit and they are literally being the hands and feet of Jesus in Detroit.
Although it was a quick weekend trip, we also got to spend some time with the fam and get spoiled by Mom and Dad with big breakfasts and homemade dinners from the grill. It was nice and refreshing. Plus my Mom, who's love language is gifts, always ends up packing my suitcase with random odds and ends like new pj's, shampoo, and fun earrings.
Now the hubby is already away at his job for the week, I am trying to get ready for the week and motivate myself for grand things (stay posted...)
Here is to my friend, Katie, who wants to swap recipes.....Anyone else want to share?
*****************************************************************
Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower


Cooking with extra-sharp Cheddar lets you use less cheese without giving up flavor. Tender cauliflower adds fiber and vitamin C.


12 ounces multi grain elbow macaroni
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
4 slices multi grain bread, torn
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar (6 ounces)
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup 1 percent milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.

Meanwhile, pulse the bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add the parsley, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and pulse to combine; set aside.

Return the pasta pot to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, just until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in the pasta, cauliflower, cheese, sour cream, milk, and mustard.
Transfer to a shallow 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
********************************************************************

A DC girlfriend, Micah, made this for our small group and it was so yummy I made up my own tonight...Great comfort food with some healthiness "snuck" in....Make it while its still cold outside! Oh and its from http://www.realsimple.com/, my favorite recipe source!




3 comments:

KatieG said...

Love the recipe! I'm going to make it. And I like the website too. Amanda and I were recently talking about mac and cheese from Eatzi's in ATl. Sooo good!

Heather said...

Yum Eatzi's. I miss the collard greens from there. Oh and I used the recipe as a main dish and just served with a green salad! Hope you like it!

The Monterossos said...

Hey, i just read this....
THANK YOU! you are so thoughtful and such an encouragement.
I love you.